If your HP laptop is not turning on after installing a windows update, here you will find some tips to fix the issue effortlessly without wasting your time.
HP laptops are among the most reliable ones in the technology space. They are available at reasonable prices with the best features.
But at times, you face many issues such as the laptop not starting after upgrading, black screen issues, etc. All these issues sound quite challenging but easy to resolve.
If you are also frustrated because your hp laptop is not working after installing Bios or Windows update, try the given fixes.
To solve HP laptop not turning ON after update, you need to check power supply, battery, RAM, look for screen issues, or problem with external devices.
Cause of HP Laptop Not Turning ON
Before jumping on to the solution here are some possible causes of the laptop not turning on:
- Malfunctioning battery
- Faulty external devices that are connected
- Virus or a malware attack
- Laptop screen issues
- New settings or software installed
- Damaged OS or a hardware component
- BIOS settings are not updated
How To Fix HP Laptop Won’t Turn
Here are a few fixes we recommend you to try if your hp laptop won’t turn on:
1. Check Your Battery and Power Supply
If your hp laptop won’t turn on but the power light is on, the first thing we recommend is to check your battery and power supply. To check if the problem is with the power supply or the battery, follow these steps:
- Remove the battery from the laptop.
- Now, plug the power supply directly into your laptop.
- Turn on your laptop.
If it is turning on, then the problem is with your battery. Although you can use your laptop with an AC power supply adapter for a while and later you need to change your battery.
Acer Aspire 3 A315-24P-R7VH Slim Laptop | AMD Ryzen 3 7320U Quad-Core Processor
2. Factory Reset Your Laptop
Performing a factory reset on your laptop helps remove settings that are causing the Hp laptop not to turn on. You don’t need to worry about the data as all your data is saved on your hard drive.
To factory reset the Hp laptop, follow these simple steps:
- Remove the battery and any other external devices such as USB, mouse, keyboard, etc., connected to your hp laptop.
- Press and hold the power button on your laptop for 15 to 60 seconds. It will help in removing any residual power in your laptop.
- Now, put back the battery.
- Plugin the AC power adapter and turn on your laptop.
- If you see any pop-up notification on your screen, press ‘continue’. Click on ‘start windows normally.
3. Detect Screen Issues
If you feel that your laptop is making noise with the power button, it indicates that the problem is with your screen. To troubleshoot the hp pavilion laptop won’t turn on issue, follow these easy steps:
- Remove all the external devices connected to your laptop.
- Turn off all the lights in the place you are sitting at.
- If there is a little light on the screen, either the cable connecting to the screen or the screen inverter is malfunctioning and needs to be changed.
- The other problem might be with your brightness button. Connect to an external keyboard to disable it.
- If you don’t see any light, then the possibility is that your screen is broken. In this situation, you need to replace the screen.
If you just bought a laptop or planning to get one, you must read this guide on how long should I charge a brand new laptop.
4. Remove External Devices or Disks
Any problematic external device or disk might prevent your hp laptop from starting up + a black screen issue. To check, follow these steps:
- Turn off your laptop.
- Remove all the external disks or devices connected to the laptop, such as memory cards, USB, hard drives, scanners, printers, etc.
- Press the power button to turn on your laptop.
If the laptop turns on, the problem is with your external device and not the laptop. Now turn it off again and try turning it on again, connecting one device at a time. In this way, you’ll identify which device is faulty.
5. Restore BIOS to Default Settings
Restoring the BIOS settings to default might help you turn on your hp laptop. Follow these steps:
- For around 15 seconds, press and hold the power button.
- To access the BIOS settings menu, press the ESC key or F10 key.
- Now select the restore to default option.
- Press enter and exit BIOS.
- Restart your hp laptop.
6. Update Laptop BIOS
If your Windows 10 Hp laptop is not starting, it might need a BIOS update. Here are the quick steps to it:
- Use an adapter to connect your laptop to a working power source
- Simultaneously press and hold the Power button, Windows, and B key for 2-3 seconds.
- Now release all the keys.
- The power light should be on by now. However, the screen will stay blank for around 40 seconds.
- You might hear a beep sound.
- Now, the HP BIOS update screen will pop up, and the update will start.
7. Problem With RAM
If there is an issue with your laptop RAM your system will show a blank screen. In this case, you need to contact an expert. If you are a gamer and want to know more about RAM, check this article on how much RAM is good for a gaming laptop.
The above-given instructions are compatible with HP Pavilion, HP Envy, Probook, Victus, and many other models.
If you are also frustrated because your hp laptop is not showing screen, fortunately, it is not always the machine that is malfunctioning. Often, your device has internal issues that can be troubleshot by simple steps such as ‘restart’ or a ‘factory reset.
I have shared some possible reasons why the laptop not turning ON problem occurs and how you can fix the issue. We hope the given troubleshooting methods will resolve your issue. If none of these methods helped, contact the hp support team for further guidance. You can also post your concern in the comment box.