Like other machines, at times, TVs also need a well-deserved “reset day.” If your Sony TV is also acting up messy, it probably needs a reset to fix bugs and glitches.
So, what are you waiting for? Follow our guide and restore your Sony TV to its factory settings, and start afresh.
If you find your Sony smart TV unresponsive to input or facing any other issues like random reboots, then a factory reset is what it needs to start working properly again.
To factory reset Sony TV, go to home screen, open Settings, navigate to Device Preferences and select Reset, press OK for confirmation.
How To Reset Sony TV
You can restore your TV to factory settings with and without a remote, we have shared both methods below.
Reset will remove all data, and passwords, and clear the cache from Sony TV. Here’s how you can hard reset your TV.
- Switch on your Sony smart TV.
- Press the “Home” button on the remote.
- Now select and enter the “Settings” option.
- Select “Device Preferences” in the settings menu and press OK.
- Now, scroll down, select the “Reset” option, and press OK.
Note: For some Sony TV models, the sequence goes like this: Device preferences > About > Reset/Factory data reset/factory reset.
- Lastly, select the “Erase Everything” option and hit the OK button.
- If you have set any pin code on the TV, you’ll be asked to enter the password.
- Once you enter the password and confirm the reset, your TV will automatically reboot, and your Sony TV will be restored to its original settings.
If you can’t open the home screen for some reason, simply press the “Quick Settings” or “Gear Icon” button on the remote. It’ll lead you to the TV settings menu.
Echo Show 15 Smart Display with Built-in Alexa and Fire TV
Factory Reset Sony Smart TV Without Remote
Many possibilities are there that might not allow you to use the remote in order to manually reset Sony TV to its original settings. That’s when you’d want to reset it without using a remote. Here’s what you need to do:
Method # 1
- Unplug the adapter of your Sony TV.
- Now, locate the button panel on your TV; it can be on the side or right beneath the screen.
- Next up, you need to press and hold down the “Volume Down” and “Power” buttons simultaneously.
- Plug the adapter back into the socket while still holding down the buttons.
- Now, when you see the Sony logo appear on the screen, you can let go of the buttons.
Method # 2
Some Sony TV models only have a power button, which means you can’t use the first method to perform a factory reset on them. So, if that’s the case with your Tv, follow the steps below:
- Unplug the adapter of your Sony TV.
- Now, locate and press the “Power” button on the TV and hold it down.
- While still holding the power button, plug the adapter back into the socket.
- Keep holding down the power button for another 10 to 30 seconds.
- Only release the power button once you see the LED turn white.
- The TV will automatically reboot, and you can set it up from scratch.
Note: For some Sony smart TV models, when the reset is initiated, a green light appears somewhere beneath the screen. So, if the Sony logo doesn’t appear on your TV screen, wait for the green light and then let go of the buttons.
How long does the Sony TV factory reset take?
Usually, when resetting a Sony TV (regardless of the model), the whole process should only take around 10 to 30 seconds. However, at times it can take as long as 60 seconds too. So if it’s taking longer than 60 seconds, there must be a problem.
How do I soft reset my Sony TV?
To soft reset your Sony Android or Google TV, you need to get the remote and press and hold the “Power” button. Keep holding it down until the TV turns off and reboots. For some models, you’ll have to hold the Power button until a menu appears on the screen. And then, you need to select and enter the “Reset” option. To perform a soft reset without a remote, you simply need to unplug your Sony TV and leave the TV unplugged for at least 2 minutes. After that, plug the adapter back into the socket and turn on the TV.
Why is the Sony Bravia factory reset not working?
Sony Bravia factory reset works just fine; however, a software crash can stop the reset from happening. To fix this, you’ll have to update the firmware, or you can go for a forced factory reset. If none of this helps, you can get in contact with Sony customer support and let them help you out.
Where is the reset button on a Sony TV?
Sony TVs don’t feature a reset button. Instead, you can use the other buttons on their button panels in order to perform a factory reset without a remote, as we mentioned earlier in this guide.
You may also like to check out:
We are certain that these methods will help you factory reset your Sony TV and fix all the issues with your TV. However, sometimes the issue is related to hardware, not the firmware and that is not resolved after the reset. For hardware-related problems, you need to repair or replace the troubling part. We suggest don’t do it yourself instead take a help of a professional or contact Sony customer support.