Running too many apps in the background can slow down your TV. Learn how you can close apps on Samsung Smart TV and improve its performance.
Using a Samsung Smart TV is all fun until you have to fully close the apps running in the background. Samsung TVs feature multifunctional software, i.e., you can run several apps at the same time. However, this feature is also troublesome because the TV start lagging and freezing when you run too many apps in the background.
If you want to enjoy smooth performance then it is important to end apps on Samsung Smart TV when you don’t need them. The easiest solution is to close the app and relaunch it. You may also like to learn the secret of watching Disney+ or get Crunchyroll on Samsung TV
Table of Contents
How To End or Close Apps on Samsung TV 
How you can end apps on Samsung TV when there’s no option to do so? Let us tell you how.
- Grab the remote and press the HOME button to open Smart Hub.
- Navigate to the app that you want to close and highlight it.
- Hold the ENTER button on your remote control until you see a menu pops-up on your TV screen.
- Once the menu appears, navigate and select CLOSE APP and press the ENTER button for confirmation.
Close Background Apps On Samsung Older Smart TV Models
The older Samsung smart TVs do not have any “Return/Exit” button. So, in order to close or kill all the apps running in the background, you will have to force quit all the apps on your TV. Here’s how you can do it:
- Power On your Samsung smart TV.
- Now, get the remote.
- Next, you need to press the “Power” button and keep holding it for at least 5 seconds.
- The TV will completely shut down. Now when you turn it back on, you’ll see that the apps have been closed. You can launch them again and they will boot up from scratch.
You cannot carry out this method by pressing the button just once because when you do that, it only turns off the TV and all the apps stay idle in the background. Moreover, if you don’t have the remote, just carry out the same method but use the button present on your Samsung smart TV’s buttons panel.
If you want to boost your Samsung TV performance, check these steps to reset your Samsung smart TV.
Alternate Method To End Background Apps On Samsung TV
For the newer models, the method is even simpler. Here’s what you need to do:
- Power on your Samsung smart TV.
- Now, press the “Return/Exit” button and hold it down for a few seconds or until the app shuts off.
Make sure you hold down the button because a quick press will only take you back to the home screen, and the app will keep running in the background.
How do I know what apps are running in the background on my Samsung TV?
In order to see whether some apps are running in the background on your Samsung smart TV, follow the steps below:
- Press the “Home” button on the remote.
- Now go to the TV’s main settings menu.
- Scroll down to the “Support” option and press ok.
- Next, you need to select and enter the “Self Diagnosis” option.
- In the self-diagnosis submenu, scroll down to the “TV Device Manager” option.
- A screen with different stats will appear, and you’ll be able to see the number of space apps running in the background is taking up.
- You can see what apps are running in the background and can also clean the running apps.
- Simply click on the “Clean Now” option under the “Clean Running Apps” option, and you are good to go.
How do I clear the app cache on Samsung Smart TV?
To clear the cached data of Samsung TV, you can follow the same method you use to see the apps running in the background. However, instead of killing the running apps, you’ll have to click on the “Clean Now” option under the “Memory Boost” option.
If you need to clear the cached data of a specific app, click on the “Show App List” option present under the “Manage Storage” option on the same screen. The list of apps will appear on the screen. Select the app you want to clear the cached data of and click on “View Details.” In the details, you can see how much of the cached data the app has. Now click on the “Clear Cache” option, and that’s it.
How do I force an app to close?
To force stop an app on a Samsung smart TV, you can press and hold the “Return/Exit” button on the remote. Or you can go to settings, enter the “Apps,” and then find your desired app. Once you’ve gotten there, you can then click on the “Force Stop” option and press ok. This will also shut the app off.
Samsung smart TVs have easy-to-use functions, and if something doesn’t work, their customer care center is always open to help. We hope that this guide would’ve been helpful, but if something isn’t adding up, make sure you get in contact with a professional right away. Moreover, if none of these methods helps you out, go through the user manual of your Samsung TV as well because it’s possible that the model you have uses a different method.